In recent times, food blogging has grown up as the most engaging blogging sector on internet. Not just a blog, but foodies are now seen coming up with their amazing talent in almost all places and social media as well. Men are also being found to take interest in this subject of blogging and in India we have some amazing male food bloggers who are not just good cooks, but also brilliant stylist and photographers. This is commendable and very impressive as well. I am a full time blogger and as Ramadan is approaching so it’s now time to sit back and relax for a while. Hence i took this opportunity to pen down 7 tips for food blogging that will improve your blogging skills and also help you make a presentable and attractive food blog.
- For a food blogger its very important to engage with the readers and interact with them as much as possible. To open a blog is easy but to bring readers to the blog is a skill. Try to connect with people as much as possible. Once you have a blog, don’t keep it dead, putting up a post and never looking back is just not cool. Try to socialize with people through emails, face book, twitter etc. Firstly let them know that you have a blog and be friendly with everyone, even with the strangers.
- Try to keep your blog as clean and crisp as possible. Too much of things may clutter the space and confuse your readers where and what to read. Choose a beautiful and neat layout and place things accordingly. Make labels or categories that can make readers comfortable finding a recipe they are looking for. Design the blog like you decor your house. Each and every corner should be clean and beautiful. While doing all this, make sure you write few words about yourself too. This will help your readers know you well.
- Always make sure your story should be related to the post or the food you post.Content is the key to success! If the content in a blog is good, the readers will always come back to you. Whether its a recipe, an article or your dinner story, everything should be well writing, easy to understand and friendly. The content should not be too long or too brief. It should be interesting enough to keep your readers engaged. Usually food blogs is all about recipes only, hence the readers come hunting for that only. So it’s quiet possible that the reader just ignores your story or the write up and jump into the recipe, if it’s too long or boring. Do not try to write your dreams or desires on a recipe post unless it is related to it.
- Writing a recipe is again the an art which helps you improve your blog and the blog traffic. I believe a recipe should always be customer friendly. Whenever you write a recipe, it’s always good to mention the course/ cuisine, style pf preparation, number of servings, preparation time and cooking time. By doing this the reader gets an idea of what he/she is going to prepare and in how much time. Then comes the ingredient part, so always try to write the correct ratios or measurements of the ingredients used. Do not work on approximation here, because it may confuse the reader. Now comes the method of cooking. Try to write the steps in an easy way, while reading the steps the reader should feel easy to cook. Never write a recipe in a paragraph. Try to number the steps and write to the point. Always provide some extra notes to the readers along with the recipe in the end.
- Always be available for your readers. Sometimes, the readers don’t put a comment in the blog, rather they put up their compliment, feedback, suggestions or query on the posts you shared on social media. Never ignore them, as it is also a healthy way to interact with the readers as mentioned in first point. Ask them to politely to drop in the feedback in blog as well. Keep your notifications on, this will not just keep you updated but will also help you reply back asap. Always remember, if you are available for your readers it will always leave a good impression of you and people will want to come back to you again and again. A blogger’s achievements is also measured by the the number of readers he/she has and above all how many people love to attempt your recipes and drop their valuable feedback.
- Food styling and food photography plays an important role in blogging these days. Remember a food that looks good and appealing to eyes itself is a winner half way. Always try to style your food in your own special way. Try to set up the shoot according to the mood of the food. Never over do the styling part, as this may again confuse the reader to as in what is the recipe is about. He might land up with a confusion of where to look and where not to look. A well lit, clean and beautiful picture where the hero always remains the food is the beauty of a food blog. It’s not necessary to put 5-6 pictures in a post. Sometimes just one clean, sharp and crisp image does it all for the post. It doesn’t matter whether you own a DSLR or you rely on your phone camera, a beautiful styling and a clean picture is all what your blog needs.
- Do not run behind the flock! Blog for yourself, blog for your internal peace and happiness, blog to follow your passion. Do not chase the ones who are leading you. They didn’t reach the heights in a day, hence everyone has to start with the starting line only. Never do anything unethical , that will lead you no where. Keep yourself in a normal pace with confidence, sincerity and hard work, trust me one day you will certainly reach heights. Blogging is an art so keep doing the art work beautifully.
It’s a vast subject, i somehow tried to summarize it in the shortest and easiest way as i can. Hope you found this beneficial. Please drop in your feedback in comments below.
Thanks for reading. Good Luck!
Love : Shaheen