In India and few other Asian countries the most commonly preferred way to roast an egg plant or a brinjal is to grill/roast on a Sigdi or a stove top. The roasted eggplants are used for making various traditional dishes both National and International. The most common dish used making roasted egg plants in Baigan Bharta. It is made with roasted egg plant mashed and flavored with Indian spices along with ginger, garlic,onions and tomatoes. Though there are various other methods of grilling or roasting an eggplant but the stove top technique gives and amazing aroma and gives prominent rustic flavors to the dish.
A very common problem faced while roasting an eggplant on a stove stop is, the skin gets stuck and becomes hard to remove later. It is widely seen that while peeling the skin of the eggplant, the flesh also comes out and that becomes hard to clean.
Hence the best way to roast and egg plant on a gas stove is –
1. Take a big size egg plant, first make sure it doesn’t have any holes in the body just to ensure that there are no worms inside.
2. Wash and wipe the egg plant with a clean kitchen towel.
3. Light up the gas stove and place an iron stand or a wire rack on it.
4. Take the egg plant and apply little oil over it (any cooking oil). Make sure the egg plant is greased from all sides.
5. Place the egg plant on the stove top and allow it to roast.
6. Keep turning it in regular intervals to make sure it gets roasted from all sides evenly.
7. Do not over roast , as soon as you find wrinkles forming and the egg plant starts to shrink loosing its size and shape, turn off the gas and allow it to cool on the wire rack.
8. Do not pierce the egg plant while roasting as it contains plenty of moisture inside and the water may release from inside through the pores and may get inside the gas burner.
9. As soon as the roasted egg plant is cool, transfer it into a plate a wash it with cold water.
10. Gently rub the skin while washing and you will find the skin peels off easily.
11. Clean the egg plant nicely and use it for your recipe.