Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Breakfast provides you with the energy and nutrients that lead to increased concentration in work. Studies show that breakfast can be important in maintaining a healthy body weight. Eating breakfast can boost energy levels and metabolism. Breakfast is considered an important meal because it breaks the overnight fasting period, replenishes your supply of glucose and provides other essential nutrients to keep your energy levels up throughout the day. A good breakfast fuels you up and gets you ready for the day. In general, kids and teens who eat breakfast have more energy, do better in school, and eat healthier throughout the day. Without breakfast, people can get irritable, restless, and tired.
Apart from providing us with energy, breakfast foods are good sources of important nutrients such as calcium, iron and B vitamins as well as protein and fiber. The body needs these essential nutrients and research shows that if these are missed at breakfast, they are less likely to be compensated for later in the day.
Here is a collection of some Everyday Breakfast Recipes (mostly Indian) , but mark it that this is just a small teaser, as we Indians have hell lot of Ideas and Recipes for our breakfast, including regional recipes as well. In this collection i haven’t added South Indian breakfast though it has a major contribution in our everyday meals. The above 10 recipes are from my kitchen, which we enjoy at home on daily basis. This collection is just an idea to show how Indian breakfast look like, hence i have kept the styling simple just to focus on the meal and let it be the hero.
- ALOO PARATHA WITH CURD, CHUTNEY AND ACHAAR – Indian flat bread stuffed with mashed and spiced potato, roasted with some desi ghee aka clarified butter to make the bread crisp is served with thick and creamy yogurt, some mint and coriander dip and mango or lemon pickle. This is a staple breakfast of Punjab which also includes a glass full of Lassi. Heavy and keeps you tummy full all day, Aloo Paratha is the most loved breakfast in my home and also in the country i’m sure.
- VEG MAYO SANDWICH AND CHEESE OMELETTE – Who doesn’t like sandwich, when you have nothing fancy to cook at home, and really lack patience to go with all those elaborated recipes n morning, sandwich happens to be the most easiest breakfast option to go with. Three simple steps and you are done with it, take a slice of bread (white or brown), spread some mayo, add some vegetables or left over veggies , some tomato sauce over it, cover it with another slice, grill it on a pan with some butter and serve hot! Sometimes all you need for a breakfast is Eggs, loved in all forms, eggs is a great source of protein and provides ample amount of energy whole day. I love Cheese Omelette the most, beat some eggs, season it with some salt, pepper and chili powder, add lots of grated cheese and make a delicious omelette to go with your mayo sandwich.
- PAV BHAJI – Coming all the way from Mumbai, Maharashtra, Pav Bhaji is one such recipe that can be served as breakfast as well as a snack or even for the meals. Famous street food of Mumbai, Pav Bhaji is one of the most loved breakfast recipe served in stalls and even in restaurants. A collection of various vegetables, boiled and mashed is later seasoned with Pav Bhaji spice mix with some butter is later served with some fresh Pav (buns) is a super delicious recipe that is also a great tiffin idea for kids.
- DEVILED EGGS – Deviled eggs from US also known as stuffed eggs, angel eggs, eggs mimosa, Russian eggs, dressed eggs, or picnic eggs are hard-boiled eggs that have been shelled, cut in half, and filled with a paste made from the egg yolks mixed with other ingredients such as mayonnaise and mustard. They are generally served cold as a side dish, appetizer or a main course, often for holidays or parties. Deviled eggs are fun to make specially during Easter as the eggs are stained with various artificial and natural colors.
- AJWAIN PARATHA WITH ALOO GOBHI SABZI – Indian flat bread flavored with Ajwain/ Carom seeds is rolled to shape into a triangle which is later roasted on a pan with some desi ghee/clarified butter. Ajwain paratha tastes best with some Indian vegetable dish like Aloo Gobhi etc. This is again a filling and heavy breakfast and not advisable to the weight watchers. Make a cup of black tea or coffee with it and enjoy this flavorful breakfast specially in winters.
- PEAS POHA / MATAR POHA – The most popular breakfast of India that is made at every home almost daily or twice a week. Poha happens to be the most loved Indian breakfast recipe that is available on street sides, restaurants and homes. Flatten rice flakes, soaked in water to make it soft is later sauteed with some onions, potatoes, seasonal veggies like cauliflower , peas etc. The most loved winter recipe for Poha is with peas, commonly known as Matar Poha, where plenty of peas are added with poha to enhance the taste and flavor. Different states and region have different additions for Poha, depending on one’s personal taste. I come from Madhya Pradesh nd Chattisragh where Poha is typically served with some chopped onions and sev along with hot and crisp Jalebis.
- VEGETABLE OATS – Oats are rich in soluble fibers which help in lowering cholesterol levels. These soluble fibers help increase intestinal transit time and reduce glucose absorption. Oats also contain beta glucan which is a lipid lowering agent. A very healthy breakfast option – you can spruce your oats with fruits and crunchy nuts. Be it a quick fix for hunger pangs, a light and hearty evening snack or the much needed energy to carry you through your hectic morning, oats is the one super food that can easily fit itself to suit your needs. Protein-packed, full of fiber and low on fat, oats are designed to boost your energy levels and help you lead a healthy lifestyle. They are not only good for the stomach but are interestingly super filling, satisfying and versatile. Oats contain a wide range of nutrients like fiber, vitamin E, essential fatty acids, etc. which make them top the healthy food charts.
- DATES & MILK – Dates are packed with a host of nutrients that provide several benefits for the skin and hair, and for your overall health. They are also known to improve eyesight and night blindness. Dates have no side effects and can be easily included in your diet. Dates are also rich in various types of vitamins. It contains vitamins like B1, B2, B3, and B5, as well as A1 and C. You can easily consume most of your required dose of vitamins by making dates a part of your diet. You can have dates for a quick snack as the natural sugars in it boosts the body’s energy.
- ALOO VADA / ALOO BONDA / ALOO CHOP – Aloo Vada or Aloo Bonda or Aloo Chop is the most Desi Breakfast recipe and also a snack recipe served as a street food in India. Boiled and mashed potatoes, flavored and seasoned with Indian spices are shaped into tennis sized balls and dipped in a gram flour batter and deep fried till golden. This high calorie breakfast is not only delicious but also a big NO to the weight watchers. Served with various types of dry and wet condiments. Different regions name it differently and also have different serving options. Aloo vada is famous in Mumbai and is served between pav to make the famous Vada Pav.
- MOONG DAL CHILLA – A healthy day starts with a healthy breakfast. It is very important to take breakfast in morning and if you choose a healthy option, you stay fit and active the whole day. Among few healthy breakkie options , one of my favorite is Moong Dal ka Chilla. I often make this at home and enjoy it with my favorite chutney. The chilla or the crepes can also be made by using whole green lentils but the spilt lentils work well as they get easily ground and makes a fine batter. Whole green lentils are good for making dhokla or fritters as they get coarsely ground. Chilla is again a very common breakfast made in India, specially the North. The dish is also now included in various big restaurants and even in the menu of marriage parties. These crepes can even be filled with vegetables or cottage cheese. That gives an amazing taste as well. So let us proceed to check the basic version first along with the ingredients required and the method of preparing.