Sindhi Dal Pakwan is a popular breakfast in Sindhi community. The pakwan served with spicy chana dal is often served in various special occasions and even in regular days for breakfast. Pakwan is crispy fried pooris made with a mix of both wheat flour and all purpose flour. As the pakwan is fried and teamed up with chana dal, it becomes rich and heavy to digest. Hence a tsp of ajwain is mixed with the flour while making pakwan that consist amazing digestive properties and prevents you from feeling blotted.
Below i have provided both Dal and the Pakwan recipes individually.
For making dal :
- Wash and soak chana dal in water overnight.
- Drain and pressure cook the dal with 2 cups of water till 2-3 whistles only. The grains should be soft yet separate.
- Open the lid once the pressure releases completely and add all the spice powders including sugar and salt and cook in low flame till the dal reaches a thick consistency.
- In a pan heat ghee and add cumin and green chilies. saute it for few seconds and add curry leaves and asafoetida and turn off the flames. Pour in the tempering to the dal and close the lid.
- Serve hot with crispy pakwan!
- Sift both the flour together and keep aside.
- Add ajwain, cumin, salt and ghee and mix all together nicely.
- Knead the flour mix into a smooth dough using adequate water. This may take 8-9 mins.
- Pinch a lemon sized ball and roll it on a dusted surface using a rolling pin.
- Take a fork and mark impressions on the rolled poori. Pierce from both sides, this wont allow the poori to fluff.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry these pricked pooris in medium to high from both sides till golden and crisp.
- Transfer the fried pakwan on a kitchen towel to soak excess oil.
- Serve hot with Sindh Dal !
Sindhi Dal Pakwan is tastes amazing when accompanied with Imli ki Chutney and Oinon and Green Chili Salad.