What do u do with those extremely ripe bananas..? Well i prefer to bake them. And when it comes to baking, what better than a Banana Bread Loaf! Well the banana cake resembles a banana bread bcz of its texture. Though the ingredients is same as a cake but it’s a bread. Banana bread is a type of bread that is made with mashed fully ripe bananas. It is often a moist, sweet, cake-like quick bread; however, there are some banana bread recipes that are traditional-style yeast breads.
Well there’s an interesting history behind banana bread… Wikipedia says Banana bread first became a standard feature of American cookbooks with the popularization of baking soda and baking powder in the 1930s. It appeared in Pillsbury’s 1933 Balanced Recipes cookbook, and later gained more acceptance with the release of the original Chiquita Banana’s Recipe Book in 1950.
National Banana Bread day is the 24rd of February. Bananas appeared in the US in the 1870s and it took a while for them to appear as ingredient items for desserts. The modern Banana Bread recipe began being published in cookbooks around the 1930s and its popularity was greatly helped by the introduction of baking powder on the market. Some food historians believe Banana Bread was a byproduct of the Great Depression as resourceful housewives did not wish to throw away overripe bananas (as they were still a costly item to purchase), others believe the modern Banana Bread was developed in corporate kitchens to promote flour and baking soda products.
Few major differences between a Banana Cake and a Banana Bread :
1. Banana bread comes in less sweet than Banana cake and banana bread.
2. Banana cake will look softer when compared to the hard texture of the banana bread.
3. Banana bread is very dense and heavy in contrast to the banana cake, which is lighter.
4. Another difference between banana cake and banana bread is that the former one is moist and the latter one is dry.
5. When compared to the flour used in banana bread, the flour used in Banana cake is soft wheat.
6. In Banana bread, soda and baking powder is used, which gives it a raised appearance. Yeast is used in the preparation of banana cake.